Friday, January 26, 2007

Nostalgic moment

Damn you Deanna and your 'if you grew up in the 70s' email.

I've gone all dreamy of the days I grew up in a small village in the middle of nowhere next to the river.

Getting snowed in every winter and the school bus not getting through.

Only 3 tv channels, and still racing home on my bike on Saturday to watch the A Team, or the Hulk or the Dukes of Hazzard (which is being shown on Bravo and still is damn good to watch).

And despite only the 3 channels I had more tv to watch than I do with my 30+ channels; Charlie's Angels, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Knight Rider, The A-Team, Kung Fu, CHiPs, The Fall Guy, Street Hawk, Logan's Run and The Man From Atlantis to name a few!

Going out to play with friends first thing in the morning and not coming home until tea was ready at 5pm. And actually having to walk or ride a bike to get anywhere.

Action Man was a real hero, and not some gimp with a snowboard like he is now. Losing the skin on my knuckles winding up the power wheel to release Evil Knievel on his motorbike.

Queuing up outside to watch Star Wars at the local cinema. And the film shown before the 'main feature' was about bikers/hells angels. And I decided then that I wanted a motorbike.

Never actually getting the hang of skateboarding. Despite having a cool book with lots of pictures showing you how to 'hang 5'

Buying 'Look In' for all the cool posters of bands like Boomtown Rats, Adam and his ants & Blondie.

Not even knowing what a computer was!

Being able to buy sweets for half a pence.

Saying flippng heck was classed as swearing.

I guess everybody feels like this about the decade they grew up in. Mine seems to span between 1976 and 1986 when I left school.

Everybody's years are the best to them.